The Village of Eastwood became a part of the City of Syracuse in 1926, but still to this day, keeps the “village” feel of days gone by. The 12 block business district along the main street consists of restaurants and cafes, bookstores, drugstores, banks, ice cream stands, boutiques, an antique store, hardware store, insurance agencies, gas station/convenience stores, jewelry store, law firms and post office to name some of the trades.
The neighborhood also has numerous churches, schools, parks, sports for all seasons – even a 9 hole golf course, ski trails and skating rink, a community center, library and a historic movie theatre.
It’s no wonder Eastwoodites feel a sense of community spirit and pride about their neighborhood and have nicknamed it “the Village within the City.”
There are over 6000 houses in Eastwood with about half being 2 or more family dwellings. Most of theses homes were built in the 1930s, 40s & 50s and are located on well-established, tree-lined streets that have been lovingly maintained by the owners.
This is a diverse neighborhood filled with active residents that feel passionate about keeping their neighborhood a culturally, socially and economically vital community and want to maintain it as a desirable locale for residence, employment and recreation.
It is for this reason that Eastwood Neighborhood Association was established – to take positive action to preserve what is best and improve the rest.